So yesterday’s post was about our blueberry picking adventures, and I left a little bit of a teaser at the end of my post promising to post the recipe for the blueberry crumb cake I had in the oven. I’m a girl who likes to keep her word, so I’m gonna give it to you! Do you have the Allrecipes app? If not, go and download it now….right now! It will forever change your meal planning. I love Pinterest, but sometimes I get frustrated when I find a really awesome food picture with difficult ingredients and preparation. I wouldn’t call myself a lazy cook… I’m just a mom who cooks… Two different things completely! Basically I don’t have the time for fancy meals, nor the money for fancy ingredients. So with that being said, I found a blueberry crumb cake on Pinterest, but it was too complicated for my taste. So I went to Allrecipes and found one that was more my style and changed just a few things. So enjoy!
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional, but seriously don’t skip it!)
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar (yes again it’s for blueberries)
- 3 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Then Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir brown and white sugar, flour, and baking powder. Then mix in salt and cinnamon.
- Then use a fork or pastry cutter (best thing ever invented!) to blend in the butter and egg.
- Your dough will be crumbly. Now pat half of the dough into the greased pan.
- In another bowl, stir your sugar and cornstarch together. Next, gently mix in your blueberries and then stir in lemon juice.
- Sprinkle your blueberry mixture over your crust. Finally crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Now take your cake and bake it in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until your crust is slightly brown. I even like to add a sprinkle of sugar on top when it’s done, just for extra sweetness! Wait for it to cool before cutting into squares!
And there you have it! A delicious semi-healthy breakfast treat. What? You don’t think cake can be breakfast! I dare you to try this with a cup of coffee and tell me it’s not worthy to be a part of the most important meal of the day!